FAQs and Lab Resources

Welcome to Bock Laboratories. Listed below are frequently asked questions about various topics that are useful when working at Bock Labs and on campus. If you have additional questions that are not listed, please feel free to email or call the administrative office for more information.
*Marcia Gratz: Payroll & Benefits
  mgratz@wisc.edu, 262-8110
*Marcia Padilla: Grants Administrator
  mpadilla@wisc.edu, 262-6449
*Katherine Spencer: Financial Specialist
  kaspencer2@wisc.edu, 262-1586
*Dennis Josi: Financial Specialist
  djosi@wisc.edu, 262-1153
*Kim Voss: Assistant Director
  krvoss@wisc.edu, 262-9880

Campus Resources
Faculty/Staff ID
UW Email Account and NetID
Parking and Transportation
Getting Started at Bock
Bock Labs Inhabitants
Building/Lab Keys
Building pass
Insurance Benefits
VISA Questions
Bock Labs Email List
Personal Computers and Internet Access

Bock Tools & Services
Computer problems and IT Support
Storeroom Purchasing Service and Supplies
Equipment Repair and Shop Service
Glassware Cleaning Service
Reserve a conference room
Reserve a Projectors

Lab Procedures, Policies & Resources
Lab Safety
Working with Animals
Working with Isotopes
Radiation Badge
Lab Waste Disposal
Procedure for Flammables
Procedure for SHARPS or broken glass
Equipment Policy
Equipment Insurance
Off-Campus Equipment Repair Procedure
Distilled Water
Recycling Procedures
Submitting Grant Proposals
Available Lab Equipment
Confocal Microscope
Liquid Scintillation Counting Machine?
Phosphorimager and Typhoon
Real-time PCR Machine
Office Procedures, Policies & Resources
Basic Office Supplies
Department Telephones
Fax Machine
US and Campus Mail Delivery
Fexeral Express and UPS services
Student Hourly Policies
Travel expenses

Emergency/Saftey Procedures
Accident Procedure
Fire Alarm Procedure
Fire doors
Flood Procedure
Smoking Policy

How do I get a Faculty/Staff ID?
Confirm that Marcia Gratz has entered your appointment into the UW system. Once confirmed, go to the Wiscard office located in Rm 149, Union South, 1308 Dayton St. Make sure you always have it with you when you are working late hours in Bock. If you have any questions, please contact Marcia in Rm 413. https://wiscard.wisc.edu/get-your-wiscard.html).
How do I activate my NetID and UW email account?
Instructions on how to activate your NetID are available at: https://www.mynetid.wisc.edu/activate. You will need the number from your Staff ID to help set up the account. Click on "NetID Utilities", then on "Activate My NetID". Once your netID is active, you can sign onto wiscmail using the same NetID.
Is parking and/or public transportation available on campus?
UW-Madison makes a concerted effort to have as much green space as possible on campus. As a result, parking is extremely limited and campus police issue tickets frequently. There are no free lots on campus and most lots require a permit which may be available from Parking and Transportation in Rm 124 WARF Building (Building 139) between 7:15 AM and 4:30 PM.  http://www2.fpm.wisc.edu/trans/info.asp
Permanent purchased parking spaces are assigned by the Parking Office on an annual basis for the year beginning Septemer 1. If an individual does not apply for parking during the annual assignment process, there are minimal chances of obtaining parking until the following year. See Kim Voss for application forms or see the UW transportation website for more information: www2.fpm.wisc.edu/trans/.
Some temporary parking permits on campus are available for purchase at WARF or 21 N. Park St. These passes cost $7.00 for half day (AM or PM) parking and $12.00 for all day parking.  Lots 36 and 38 are the closest to the Bock Building. Note that some parking lots on campus are free during the evening and most weekends (depending on Badger sporting events).
Other transportation options include: 
The Bus:  Madison Metro Transit System
Contact information: 266-4466, http://www.mymetrobus.com/
Buses run throughout campus. Bus routes 80 and 85 are looped-campus based routes that are free for anyone. For all other routes, all UW employees can obtain a bus pass for $24/year and students can obtain a free bus pass. Without a pass, bus fare is $2.00 one way. Check the bus schedule and ride guide for the most current information regarding stop locations and routes. Bus passes can be obtained at Student Print on the 3rd floor of the Student Activity Center, 333 E. Campus Mall. http://www.asm.wisc.edu/asm-bus-pass.html
Community Car
Avoid hassles by leaving your own car at home, but still have access to a car during the workday. http://www2.fpm.wisc.edu/trans/alternatives.asp
Madison is a very bicycle friendly city and hosts a large variety of trails, bike lanes and bike racks throughout the city. You can find pre-owned and new bicycle dealers all over town and some dealers, like Budget Bicycle even rent bikes.
Map of bicycle trails:
UW SAFEwalk Escort and SAFEride Cab Services (www2.fpm.wisc.edu/trans/safe_escort.asp), 262-5000
SAFEwalk Escort provides walking services all over campus, except the UW Hospital and Eagle Heights area.  Hours are 8:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m., (April 1-September 30), and 7:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. (October 1-March 31), seven days a week. 

SAFEride Cab Services provide transportation for people who live outside the SAFEwalk area.  The SAFEride Cab area ends approximately two miles off campus but for an extra charge, SAFEride can take you outside of their normal range. The hours are 10:30pm – 3:00am, seven days a week. A $1 donation plus driver’s tip is requested of each rider.  In order to use SAFEwalk/SAFEride you must have your UW ID with you.
Who lives in Bock Labs?
Bock Labs houses the Institute for Molecular Virology (IMV) and the Laboratory of Cell and Molecular Biology (LCMB) research centers, the Biophysics and Cellular Molecular Biology (CMB) graduate training programs, the Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation (LOCI), and the Biophyics and Molecular Biosciences Training grants (MBTG). The administrative support office for these programs is located in Rm 413, Bock Labs. For more information:
     Institute for Molecular Virology:
     Laboratory of Cell and Molecular Biology:
     Biophysics Graduate Program and Training Grant:
     Cellular Molecular Biology Graduate Program:
     Molecular Biosciences Training Grant:
     Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation:
How do I get a key to the building and/or my lab?
You and your supervisor will talk with Marcia Gratz in the main office and she will help you fill out a key card. Take the key card down to the storeroom on B1 and give it to Chris Gradel who will issue your keys. If you ever lose your key see Chris directly. When your time at Bock is finished, please return your key to either Chris or Marcia. 
What's a building pass? How do I get one?
A building pass allows employees to work in the building after-hours on nights and weekends. Campus security can request to see your pass at any time. Faculty/Staff IDs double as building passes, however if you do not have a Faculty/Staff ID you will need an official after-hours building pass. See Marcia Gratz in the office for assistance. Passes expire after a year so remember to visit Marcia for updates. 
How do I get my insurance benefits?
There is a limited period during which a new employee may sign up for health insurance and other insurance plans without providing evidence of insurability and/or meeting other qualifying conditions.  For most employees, this period is as short as 30 days from date of hire. All new Classified Permanent and Unclassified employees must attend Benefits 101: New Employee Benefits Seminar soon after beginning employment. Marcia can help you enroll and you should complete the appropriate application forms as early as possible. 
Most University employees are offered several comprehensive health care plans to choose from if you are a faculty member, academic staff or classified staff with a 50% or greater, permanent appointment, or a limited term appointee covered under the Wisconsin Retirement System, refer to the "Benefits Booklet-Academic Staff, Classified Employees, Classified LTE's, Faculty" booklet available on the Employee Compensation and Benefits website. www.bussvc.wisc.edu/ecbs/emp-gen-bens-menu.html
Each fall a "Dual Choice" health insurance enrollment period is held for approximately 3 weeks. Premium changes for the next year are announced at this time, and employees can change from one health insurance plan to another, change from single to family coverage, etc. These changes become effective the following January 1. At the beinning of the "Dual Choice" enrollment period, information about your options will be emailed to you directly. 
Where do I go for VISA questions?
Amber Jensen provides assistance with visa applications. See her as soon as you know of a status change and/or the need to submit a new application. Visa approvals take longer now than ever before and often take Several months to process.
If changes occur that may affect compliance with the conditions of your visa status, please let Amber know, preferably before the fact. This includes leaving the country, working concurrently in another position, or changes in your employment in our department.
If you plan to leave the country while on a J-1 visa, you must obtain a travel endorsement from IFSS on your original DS-2019.  This request must be submitted 2-3 weeks prior to travel.
For more information visist: http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/ifss/index.htm 
How can I be added to the Bock Labs email list?
Once you have an active Wiscmail account, contact Emily Kelly at dynamicduo@bocklabs.wisc.edu.
Can I use a personal computer?
The use of personal computers is allowed but you are required to have it screened for up-to-date virus software by our IT staff. Contact Bock computing by using their online form: www.bocklabs.wisc.edu/computing/report and they will set up a time to check your computer. For internet access  only, you can log-into UW's wireless network using your NetID and password. Finally, if you are visiting and wish to have access, your host can request a temporary user ID for you through DoIT (campus computing): http://helpdesk.doit.wisc.edu/page.php?id=4.
Where do I go for computer problems or IT support?
Request Bock IT support by filling out the Bock Labs computer support request form: www.bocklabs.wisc.edu/computing/report. Your request will be responded to within one business day. For emergencies, contact the bock office directly.
Where can I find basic lab supplies or place a purchase order?
State law prohibits the procurement of any item without proper purchasing procedure being followed. If you purchase anything (no matter what the cost) without proper procedure being followed, you have bought it yourself and you will not be reimbursed for the cost.
Storeroom Stock 
Chris Gradel operates the Storeroom in Rm B119. The storeroom maintains a stock of over 800 different items that you may purchase at any hour of the day using the honor system.  To purchase a stock item, record the transaction on your lab's clipboard.   
Order Lab Materials
In addition to the storeroom stock, Chris manages basic outside orders, providing access to a large number of scientific suppliers. Submit an online Storeroom order form on the Bock website (you will need to enter your NetID and password) and Chris will place the order with the vendors. Upon arrival, Chris will review the contents, complete the paperwork and deliver the items directly to the labs on a daily basis. Sources of suppliers include but are not limited to: Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Fisher Scientific, Invitrogen, Materials Distribution Services (MDS), New England Bio-Labs, Roche, Sigma Chemical, Beckman Instruments (centrifugation supplies), DoIT (computer supplies and software), Integrated Data Technologies, and Rainin Instruments.      
Blanket Orders: Some labs have their own blanket orders. These blanket orders are almost always written to other organizations on campus, such as animal care and radioactive materials (CORD). If your lab has a blanket order, learn how to place orders properly. Ask an experienced person in your lab (or Dennis Josi in Rm 413) for assistance. 
Equipment: Equipment is usually defined as something that costs over $5000 and has a useful life of more than 3 years. Bring equipment orders to Dennis in the office. 
How can I get equipment repaired? Is there a shop service?
The machine and electronics shop is located in room B101. John Peterson does electronics work and Gary Hammersley works on large instruments, such as refrigerated centrifuges and refrigerators. In general, they cooperatively meet the building's needs for repairs. An exception to this rule is equipment under service contract which means that the manufacturer's service representative is paid to come to your lab and fix the instrument if it fails.
Our shop does not charge for its labor but it does charge for the material used to meet your requests, such as parts for a broken instruments. If you have a work request, please submit an online request form on the Bock Webpage and bring the item to be worked on to the shop if possible.
General rule: Ask the shop first.
Always remember to ask the shop staff before discarding or placing equipment in the swap room. The shop can quickly evaluate your equipment and let you know its long or short term status.
Is there a glassware cleaning service?
Cathy Scott staffs the Glassware Washing facility. Each weekday Cathy will pick up lab glassware and plastic for washing that is placed on the glassware carts outside of labs. Glassware should be well rinsed by the user prior to pick up. Typically, each research group has a student hourly responsible for glassware and rinsing who should be introduced to Cathy. Ask Cathy if you are unsure if something can be washed in the facility.  Sterilizers are also available for use in the facility and directions are available from the Shop staff.
Where do I reserve a conference room?
Two conference rooms can be reserved for use: the Penthouse (take stairs to the 9th floor) and room B105. If you are interested in reserving a room, click on the room reservation link on the Bock Labs website. Check out the calendar to see when the rooms are available and then fill out a request form. Requests will be processed in the order in which they are received. You will receive a confirmation email once your reservation has been made.
Do we have any projectors I can use?
The B105 conference room is equipped with a slide projector and a transparency projector. The penthouse conference room has a transparency projector and large screen monitors that can be connected to a personal computer. Please do not remove the projectors from these rooms. When people reserve the room, they are reserving the use of these projectors as well.  
A video projector capable of showing either computer-generated or video taped presentations may be reserved for use at: www.loci.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/calendar/lcd/calendar.cgi. The first time you reserve the projector, you will click on "Add Item" to create a user name and password. Please use your name as the user name. This is the name that appears on the calendar, indicating to others who has the projector.  After reserving the projector, come to the office (Rm 413) and contact a staff member to pick up the projector. When you are finished, please return it to the office and give it to a staff member who will check it back in. 
If a projector fails to operate properly, please see John Peterson in B101B. 
Do I need specific safety trainings to work in a lab?
UW-Madison offers training sessions in order to execute lab procedures properly such as handling chemicals, working with radiation, working with animals, etc. For some positions certain training is mandatory. See your supervisor to find out which sessions are required. See the UW-Madison Safety website for training sites and schedules www2.fpm.wisc.edu/safety/
Where do I go to obtain a radiation badge?
Chris Gradel in the B119 storeroom is responsible for distributing radiation dosimeters on a quarterly basis. The report for the previous period is posted in room B119. You should check your name on this report quarterly. If you do not have a dosimeter and need to get one, please see your Lab Manager/P.I./Chris and they will assist you with obtaining the dosimeter. Be aware that if you need to work with any radioactive materials, you must take a Radiation Safety course (www2.fpm.wisc.edu/safety/Radiation/). After you complete the form, Radiation Safety will mail your dosimeter to Chris who will then distribute it to you. 
What is the procedure for working with animals?
The NIH has imposed strict regulations for the care of experimental animals and their experimental use at the University. If you are considering use of animals in your research, you will need to have the proper documentation on file with the Research Animals Resource Center (RARC). Your animal care contact person will be able to provide you with the correct forms needed to gain RARC approval for your animal research plans.
Can I work with isotopes?
The use of radioactive materials is very closely regulated. Radiation Safety controls the purchasing and distribution of isotopes through its CORD operation. Individuals using isotopes for the first time at UW-Madison must participate in a one-day training session through the Radiation Protection program www2.fpm.wisc.edu/safety/Radiation/. Once the training is complete, a dosimeter will be provided (coordinated by Chris Gradel), and your use of isotopes can begin. Radiation Safety will be conducting regular insepctions of your laboratory for compliance with NRC rules. Should your lab fail to pass inspection, you will be unable to obtain material from CORD. Radiation Safety also handles disposal of radiactive material. 
Where and how do I dispose of lab waste?
All employees must dispose of all waste generated by following some very important procedures outlined below:
ANIMAL WASTE: Disposal of experimental animals is handled by the Safety Department at UW (www2.fpm.wisc.edu/safety/index.htm). A form, from the Safety Department must accompany animal material when Safety picks it up. Other materials, such as cedar chip bedding, should be placed in a sealed plastic trash bag. The custodial staff will place it in the common trash. 
CHEMICAL WASTE: In order to limit the amount of chemical waste we generate, please try to always order the correct quantities of chemicals. All unused chemicals must be sent to the Safety Department. Please see the Recycling section for more information. 
RADIOACTIVE WASTE: The Safety Department handles the disposal of radioactive waste. Separate disposal forms and containers are used for radioactive waste and chemical waste. There is a limited amount of short-term storage for radioactive material in rooms B125 and B126 (on the loading dock.) 
What should I do with flammables?
All labs should work diligently to keep the volume of flammables on hand at the lowest reasonable level. Flammables should be stored in the low part of your lab's fume hood. Storeroom inventory of flammables is in Rm B229. There is a very limited amount of space for short-term storage of excess solvents. Please consult with Chris about such storage. Disposal of such materials is handled by the Safety Department 
What should I do with SHARPS or broken glass?
Order the appropriate size SHARPS or Broken Glass container. Chris Gradel in the Storeroom can help direct you. Locate the container in a convenient place in your lab. When full, seal the container and if SHARPS, move it to the red barrels in room B127 on the loading dock. Chris has a key. If it is Broken Glass, either seal the cardboard "Broken Glass" container or place in a sturdy cardboard box, seal, label "Broken Glass" and place in the appropriate container next to the east side of the building. 
Note: Small amounts of broken glass may be added to the "Broken Glass" box in the Dish Room (B213)
What's the equipment policy?
All capital items (generally equipment costing over $5000) have inventory numbers. These numbers are on a small blue and silver decal usually placed on the front of the instrument. We are accountable for this equipment. Please do not give or lend this equipment to other departments or institutions, dispose of, or trade-in without contacting Gary Hammersley in the shop first. There is an annual audit of our inventory each year; during this inventory we are required to locate randomly selected items. 
Is our equipment insured?
Equipment taken off campus must be insured. Please contact Gary Hammersley in the shop at least one week before you plan to leave campus with any of our equipment. If you fail to do this, the equipment will not be insured against theft or damage. 
My equipment needs to be sent off campus to be repaired, is there a procedure I need to follow?
In the event that equipment is to be sent off campus for repair or replacement, the proper arrangements must be made. Please see Dennis in the office. 
I need to get a gas cylinder. Who do I talk to?
Chris Gradel is in charge of gas cylinders for the building. Because there is potential for serious injury or death if a cylinder falls and the valve breaks, exercise great caution in relocation and always keep every gas cylinder safety chained. If you require a gas cylinder where there is currently no safety chain, call the Machine Shop. They will install a new safety chain for you and then the cylinder can be moved to the new location. 
Do we have any distilled water?
Yes, we do have access to distilled water. However, distilled water is a finite resource and because of that, we can only use a limited amount each day. It is important that each lab is careful with their distilled water usage. Please do not tie open distilled water faucets for any reason. If you find yourself wanting something similiar for rinsing, please see the shop staff and they will help you design a timed device for special use of distilled water, such as pipette rinsing.
Does Bock Labs recycle?
Bock Labs tries to be as green as possible and recycles many items using the following procedures: 
Aluminum: Aluminum beverage cans should be placed in the blue recycling barrels. The University does not recycle aluminum foil.  Individual labs can take their aluminum foil to one of the local recycling centers if they wish. Otherwise, put used foil in the regulator laboratory trash.
Cardboard: Cardboard cartons should be placed next to or in the large blue "Mixed Paper" recycling bin located in the hallways on each floor.
Chemicals: The UW Safety Department provides a service for the recycling and/or disposal of chemicals. Known chemicals, in their original container, can be sent to them for recycling. UW Safety publishes a list periodically, which contains chemicals available through their recycling program. Unknown substances can be sent to them for identification and proper disposal. The Safety Department uses a gas chromatograph to identify unknowns, and analysis is not cheap. Make every effort to reduce the number of unknowns by always properly labeling your containers. Forms for chemical pick-up may be obtained in the Office or from Safety. Dennis Silbaugh, UW Safety Department chemical specialist, can be reached at 262-8986. Please consult with him before putting chemicals out for pick-up.
Glass: Glass beverage containers may be placed in the blue recycling barrels. All other glass is not recycled. Place well-rinsed glass reagents bottles in the hallway outside your lab. Please do not put them in your lab waste because the glass can break and harm the custodian when he/she is removing the trash. Broken glass and other sharp objects should either be boxed (a sturdy box, well-taped shut, and brightly labeled: BROKEN GLASS) or disposed of in the “sharps” containers available through our Storeroom. A copy of the UW Safety Department’s guide for “sharps” disposal should be posted in your laboratory.
Laser Printer Cartridge: Laser printer cartridges should be brought to Chris Gradel in the Storeroom for recycling. He will ship them to Materials Distribution Services.
Paper: Clean, regular paper should be placed in the black rectangular recycling baskets in each lab or office. Magazines, newspapers, glossy paper (including stapled and glued bindings) should be placed in the large blue bins labeled "Mixed Paper" which are located in the hallways on each floor.
Plastic: Plastic beverage containers may be placed in the blue recycling barrels. Please do not place plastic reagent bottles in these barrels. The Dane County Recycling Center prefers not to deal with these for fear of lingering chemicals. Instead, please put plastic reagent bottles in the regular laboratory trash, after rinsing thoroughly.
Plastic Lab Ware: This includes petri dishes, culture flasks, graduated cylinders, etc. These are not recycled, rather place them in the regular lab trash. Special note: some labs place materials into biohazard bags and then autoclave the bag and contents. Once this has been done, please place the biohazard bag into another regular plastic trash bag and seal the bag. The double bagging makes the garbage collection crew far more comfortable and prevents any calls to the Biologcal Safety Office.
Steel: Steel cans or steel/aluminum combination beverage cans may be placed in the blue recycling barrels. Metal containers used for shipments of chemicals cannot be recycled and should be placed in the regular laboratory trash.
Styrofoam Chips: Styrofoam peanuts may be recycled with Chris Gradel in the B119 Storeroom. Please no cardboard, styrofoam cups etc. These peanuts go to UW Stores where they are used for packing shipments.
Styrofoam Enzyme Boxes: Most suppliers of enzymes now provide a prepaid return label along with their shipments. When you take your enzyme out of the cooler, dump out the ice into a sink. Tape the cooler closed with some shipping tape. Put the pre-paid label in place, bring the cooler to B119 and place it, label facing out, next to the enzyme freezer on the floor. If you do not follow this procedure, the cooler will not be recycled. Please do not dispose of coolers until you have accumulated several dozen. 
How do I submit a grant proposal?
Kim Voss and Amber Jensen coordinate research grants and fellowship proposals. If you are submitting a grant proposal, please meet with them at least (4) weeks prior to the agency deadline. Please try to prepare your proposals early enough to avoid last minute "rush" jobs and to discuss unusual situations with Kim or Amber as far in advance from the deadline as possible. It is important to allow sufficient time for the processing of biological material forms, rDNA and animal use forms, if necessary, and to obtain all necessary approvals.

Because the campus Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) receives an unmanageable number of proposals in the days just prior to a major deadline, they have requested that P.I.s make a sincere effort to forward complete applications to their office one week prior to the agency deadline. This is to allow staff at the Graduate School and Research Administration time to review the proposal, request any additional information, and create the University's cover letter. To comply with this request, your proposals should be submitted to the main office at least 10 days prior to the agency deadline. This time is vital for the chairs to discharge their responsibilities, and for the office to make and assemble the necessary copies.

By adhering to the general schedule provided below, you can ensure that your grant applications will meet the agency deadlines, and that they will be prepared as carefully as possible. Thank you for your cooperation.
Schedule for submitting Research Applications:
*At least 4 weeks prior to agency deadline: inform Kim of agency and deadline; discuss budget and biological materials, rDNA and animal use protocols, if necessary.
*10 days prior to agency deadline: research description should be complete, and all sections should be submitted to office; P.I. should sign the proposal, certifications and transmittal form.
*1 week prior to agency deadline: Kim and/or Amber forwards complete application to the Graduate School and RSP for institutional approvals.
Does Bock have a confocal microscope?
A Bio-Rad MRC600 laser scanning confocal microscope is housed in Bock Labs. Visit the office for more information.
Does Bock have liquid scintillation counting machine?
Bock Labs operates a Beckman liquid scintillation counter, located in room 705. If you are not familiar with the machine, ask someone in the laboratory for instructions.
Does Bock have a phosphorimager or a Typhoon?
Bock Labs owns a Molecular Dynamics Typhoon imager, which is located in B201. The instrument is available on a first come, first served basis. It may be closed evenings and weekends as well. Your lab door key will open the imager room. Each research group is responsible for training new members of their group to use this instrument, and they are responsible for their own imaging screens. Problems with the instrument should be reported to Gary Hammersley, in the shop. 
Typoon data files should be promptly removed from the workstation hard drive. They should be put onto CD (disks available from Chris Gradel (B119)) or sent to other computers via Ethernet. Image files may be deleted without backup from the workstation hard drive in order to keep a reasonable amount of open hard drive space for new images. 
Does Bock have a real-time PCR machine?
General info: The Applied Biosystems 7900 real time PCR machine is equipped to handle 96- or 384-well plates. It does not currently have FAST or array capability. The 7900 is located in B201. Your lab manager or PI should have a key to this room. If he/she does not, please see Marcia Gratz.

Reservations: There is a sign-up sheet located next to the 7900. Please sign-up to reserve time on the machine. Please include your name, lab, head use (96 or 384), and length of run when signing up.

Log-In: The 7900 does not require a log-in password; just log-in with the John Bade icon.

Software: The 7900 uses the software SDS 2.1. Besides being on the 7900 computer, this software is installed on the computer attached to the phosphorimager in the Culbertson lab on the 4th floor. The Ahlquist and Palmenberg labs also have a copy of this software. We have 3 other licenses for this software. If your lab will be using the 7900 frequently and would like a copy of this software, please see computer support. We are interested in evenly distributing this software throughout the building. It is PC based.

Data Storage: The 7900 computer is networked, but for a variety of reasons is not set up for file server access. Each lab has a folder on the D:\ drive of the 7900 computer. You may burn a CD, copy to Zip disk, or flash card to transfer files. The 7900 computer will currently print to various black/white and color printers throughout the building.

Primer Design: We have one license for the Primer Express program. It is installed on the computer attached to the phosphorimager in the Culbertson lab on the 4th floor. This program can be used to design your Taqman primer-probe pairs. Taqman primers and probes can then be ordered through any primer supply company or Applied Biosystems. Aplied Biosystems can also design your Taqman primer-probe pairs for you.

Reporters/Quenchers: The 7900 currently has the capability to use the following reporters and quenchers: fam, joe, ned, rox, sybr, tamra,vic, and tet. It can be used with other reports or quenchers but further calibration would be required. Please see the people listed below if you are interested in using other reporters or quenchers.

Supplies: Many companies sell supplies for real time PCR. Some catalogs and prices from VWR and Applied Biosystems are located next to the 7900.
Help: For further information about the 7900, assistance in using the 7900 for the first time, switching between the 96- and 384-well heads, problems with the 7900, or any other help lease contact:
      Suzanne Ponik,  265-5094

She is the designated caretaker of the 7900. She is also responsible for running monthly background checks and bi-yearly calibrations on the 96- and the 384-well heads. 
How do department phones work?
The State Telephone System (STS) is to be used for long distance calls that are related primarily to University business. Use of the system for personal long distance calls (even if you plan to make reimbursement to the University) is not a permitted practice and is considered an abuse of the system. Unavoidable personal calls are to be made as collect calls, billed directly to the individual’s home telephone number, charged to a personal credit card, or made from a pay or cell phone.

Local personal calls should be limited to those that are essential. Employees should be judicious and not make excessive use of their telephones for personal purposes.

Long Distance Calls: Most lab phones do not allow long distance calls to be placed. There is a phone located in the office (Rm 413) for lab personnel to use to make long distance calls to vendors or for other university business purposes. The phone record list, located by the phone, must be filled out for every long distance call. See the following dialing instructions:

Long distance calls outside of Madison but in the United States, Canada and Mexico- Dial 8-1 then the area code plus a seven-digit number.
International calls- Dial 8-011- country code-city code-local number, then the # button if you have a touch-tone phone (this will speed your call along).
Toll Free (800) Numbers- Dial 8-1-800 plus the seven-digit number.
Directory Assistance (there is a $.65 charge per call)-Dial 8-1-area code-555-1212
Local Calls- There is no charge for local calls or campus calls. (There is a charge for calls to directory assistance.) If the call is in Madison, dial 9-seven digit number. If the call is on campus, then you dial only the last 5 digits of the phone number.
Centrex Features: The following features are available on all University telephones. For instructions on their use consult the Staff Directory on page A11:
    Automatic Callback
    Call Transfer
    Three-Way Calling
    Call Forwarding Variable
    Six-number Speed Dialing
Do we have a fax machine?
The office (Rm 413) has two fax machines: one for MB and another for MV. The MB fax number is (608) 262-4570 and the MV number is (608) 262-7414. When you receive a fax, unless it is marked URGENT or in some other way very important, it will be placed in your mailbox. When you want to send a fax, Katie or Jamie will teach you how to use the fax machines. After you have completed Fax 101, you will be able to fax for yourself. Report any problems with the fax machine to either Katie or Kim, depending on which on you are using. Remember that fax calls are dialed just like any other telephone calls- see the telehpone section. You should record long distance fax calls on the pad by the fax machine.
When is the mail delivered and where do I receive it?
U.S. Mail is delivered directly to the building Monday through Friday. It usually arrives in the late morning. It is then sorted into the mailboxes located outside of the office (rm 413). Outgoing mail leaves Bock Labs midmorning each day. Postage for business related items are available in the office.

Campus mail: The University and state agencies in Madison operate an interdepartmental mail service. Re-useable campus mail envelopes are available in the office. Campus mail is delivered to our building in the early morning and; outgoing campus mail leaves at the same time. There is no charge for campus mail service.
Does Bock Labs offer Federal Express or UPS services?
Yes, it does.
Please see Marcia Gratz in room 413 for all express shipments OUTSIDE the USA. If you have something to send out by FexEx please see Marcia before 3:00PM.
There are two sub-categories: Overnight Letters and Overnight Packages.
Overnight Letters: Chris Gradel in the B119 Storeroom will have either pre-paid Federal express or prepaid UPS airbills for letter envelopes (be sure you use the same vendor’s envelope and airbill!). These are checked out from the Storeroom just like any other item. Federal Express Overnight Letters are placed in the drop box on the wall by the B1-Level outside door and are picked up at 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Overnight Packages up to 5lbs: Chris Gradel in the B119 Storeroom has either prepaid overnight Federal Express or prepaid UPS airbills for packages up to 5 lbs. These are checked out from the Storeroom just like any other item. Heavier packages need airbills which are not prepaid and must have funding coding written on them, so be sure to see Marcia for funding coding. Federal Express packages are placed in the drop box (place on the floor below if it won’t fit in the drop box) on the wall by the B1-level outside door and are picked up at 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. At the time of this writing, there is no drop box or regular pickup time for UPS overnight packages-see Marcia for pickup information.
What are the student hourly policies?
Most labs now search for and select their own student workers using the UW’s Student Job Center website. http://jobcenter.wisc.edu/ First you create a profile for yourself/your lab (My Profile) and then you list the job opening (List a Job). Applicants are able to contact you by email or phone. You must bring the new student to the office for payroll paperwork completion on or before their first day of work.

Eligibility: The student must be enrolled for credit at a two-year or four-year institution in the UW System and the position must be incidental to the individual’s purpose or presence at the University as a student. If they are enrolled at another campus, they must show proof of their enrollment there. If they receive their bachelor’s degree in the spring, they may work only one week past commencement, unless they are enrolled in a graduate program the following fall. If they will be a freshman in the fall, they may work the summer before.

I-9: An offer of employment must be contingent upon verification of identity and work authorization as required by the Immigration Reform and Control act of 1986. Section 1 of the I-9 form must be completed by the employee on or before the employment begin date. The employee must present verifying documents by the third day of employment. The law prohibits the University from employing or continuing to employ an individual who has not provided the required documents within the relevant time period. See Marcia (MB) or Kim (MV) for these forms.

Enrollment Verification: Each fall and each summer Student Hourlies are required to fill out this form, verifying their enrollment in classes. Students enrolled half time or more do not have a Social Security deduction taken from their check. During the summer, when not enrolled in classes, Social Security deduction is taken.

Time Sheets: Students are paid on a biweekly basis using online time sheets which must be turned in by 4:30pm on alternate Fridays. The due date and time are printed on each time sheet; if it is not received in the office by that time, the hours will be paid on the following payroll. Additionally, if the time sheet is not completed correctly, it will be returned to the student and the hours may not be paid until the following pay period. The lab supervisor must sign the time sheet.

Overtime not allowed: It is the policy of the Graduate School and both the Molecular Biology and Molecular Virology labs to limit student employment to 40 hours a week in all student appointments on campus, even during the summer months - be sure students understand this. During school sessions in which the student is enrolled, we encourage you to limit the hours to approximately 20 per week.

International Student: Additional policies apply to non-resident alien students, based on their visa types. Students on F-1 visas may be employed on campus for up to 20 hours a week during the academic term and up to 40 hours a week during holiday periods. Student on J-1 visas have the same hourly limitations, and must also present a letter from the j-1 sponsor granting them work permission.

Additional policies: The Supervisor should be present during the student’s work hours. Shifts of four hours should include a 15 minute paid break. For 8-hour workdays, a minimum 30 minutes of unpaid lunch break is required.

The above policies are subject to change, so please consult with Marcia or Kim if you have any questions.
I need to go on a trip. How do I handle travel expenses?
Katherine Spencer is our travel guru, so please contact her with any questions you may have regarding travel (262-1586, kaspencer2@wisc.edu). Contract vendors, rates and limits quoted in this section are accurate as of September 2009 and are subject to change. These are only brief descriptions - the best thing to do is see/email/call Marcia for questions/instructions before you make any travel arrangements (including meeting registrations), especially for the first time.

Complete UW System travel regulations are on-line at the following link:
In general, just think "receipts, receipts, receipts." The definition of receipt is "an itemized receipt which means it shows each item purchased." This is usually a cash register receipt - you can also attach your credit card receipt to verify credit card payment. However, a credit card receipt, by itself, is not enough documentation for reimbursement - it does not show exactly what was purchased. At a hotel the needed receipt is the "hotel folio" which you get when you check out and pay - it will detail each day and what was purchased/paid for each day. A taxi receipt will show the date and amount.

Air travel: Reimbursement is limited to the lowest fare available. If roundtrip fare exceeds $500, quotes from at last two agencies/airlines must be obtained. If you decide to fly from Milwaukee or Chicago to save money, we will have to prove it costs less than flying from Madison - see Angie for instructions. If you decide to add a weekend or holiday days to your trip because it lowers the flight cost, we will have to prove the total cost is less (this includes the price of meals and extra hotel nights) - see Angie for instructions before you book your airfare. Direct Billing the Department for airfare may be possible. (This method spares you from carrying the airfare cost on your own credit card until you return from your trip). When you book your flight and pay using you own personal card, you will have to wait to collect the reimbursement until after your trip is completed (unless the cost of the airfare is unusually large). If you get a paper ticket, keep the Passenger Receipt from your ticket because you must have it for reimbursement. If you get an e-ticket you will need to print or forward to Marcia the confirmation email which shows the itinerary (flights, times etc.) and showing payment made to your credit card. You will also need a receipt (obtained when you pay at the ticket counter) to be reimbursed for the Extra Bag charge - if you pay for it online, be sure to print your receipt.

Taxi and airport shuttle/limousine: These charges are reimbursable. Receipts are required for fares exceeding $25 one way.
Bus/Subway: Receipts are not required for bus or subway, but if you save them it's easy to remember what you spent.

Automobile Transportation: You can drive your personal car to your meeting and be reimbursed $0.485 per roundtrip mile if your destination is less than 300 miles from Madison. If your destination is more than 300 miles and you want to drive, see Marcia to calculate the lowest cost to your destination.
University Fleet Cars are available for use and may be charged to grant funds. A car should be reserved from Car Fleet at the Transportation Services Office, or the Agricultural Car Fleet and an authorization form sent in advance of planned use. Only authorized drivers may drive State vehicles. To become authorized contact Car Fleet directly.
If you use your personal vehicle locally you will be reimbursed for business related miles - using your peronsal vehicle is restricted to pre-approved programs or research related activities. The rate of reimbursement is $0.485 per mile.

Vehicle Rentals: Reimbursement is generally limited to the cost of a compact size or smaller. Rental should be made from the State Contract Vendors (listed at http://www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/fppp/fppp36.htm). The contract vendors include free collision and liability insurance for most rentals. If it is necessary to rent from a noncontract vendor, or if the contract vendor does not provide insurance for that location, collision insurance must be purchased. See Marcia before you decide to rent a vehicle - your reimbursement will be limited to the lowest cost way to travel to your destination and the lowest cost contract vendor rate.

International Travel: See Marcia before you make international travel arrangements (lodging or airfare). Different lodging and meal maximus apply depending on the country to which you are traveling.
Registration Fees: Receipts are required for claims in excess of $25.

Meals: The amount claimed for meals must represent the amount actually spent. Please do not pay for other people's meals when traveling. Ask Marcia for current maximum rates. Receipts are not necessary and will not help you get reimbursed over the maximum meal rate, but they will help you remember what you spent.

Lodging: Discounted rates should be requested when making reservations or registering at a hotel/motel if possible. Government rates are extended to UW employees at the following chains: Motel 6 and Red Roof Inns. (Refer to instructions at www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/fppp/fppp36e.htm for the UW discount code number when making reservations at these hotels.) Be prepared to show identification at check-in. Receipts are required and reimbursement will be limited to the UW-System maximum rates. The hotel folio (obtained wen checking out) itemizing daily charges and showing your payment in full, must be submitted with your request for travel reimbursement. 

Travel Expense Reports for reimbursement should be filed as soon as possible, and definitely within two weeks after your return.
Is there coffee in Bock?
Bock Labs has a coffee club that operates only during regular office hours in the kitchen of the office (rm 413). Club members may join on a monthly or single cup basis. To join contact Kim Voss. If you are making coffee in your lab with your own pot, please be sure to unplug the pot before leaving.
What do I do if there’s an accident?
Serious accidents or medical emergencies requiring paramedic assistance should be reported to 9-911. The 911 operator will send paramedics, an ambulance, and fire/police assistance to your laboratory.
What’s the fire alarm procedure?
Campus building occupants are asked to call 9-911 as well as trigger the building alarm system in the event of a fire or other such emergency. The building alarm system will notify occupants to vacate the building. Leave the building when the fire alarm sounds-do not assume that there is an alarm malfunction. 
Does Bock have any fire doors?
The stairways in our building are protected by fire proof doors. These doors protect your exit in the event of a fire. They should never be blocked open. Everyone should be familiar with the location of the stairways, the location of our fire extinguishers, and the location of the safety shower on each floor.
What should I do if something is flooding?
Problems with the plumbing system should be reported to Gary Hammersley. This includes leaky faucets, plugged drains, and leaking sinks. However, these are only part of our usual water difficulties. Many laboratories have cooling water routed through plastic/rubber tubing and this tubing has frequently failed with serious consequences. To prevent this from happening, please frequently change plastic/rubber tubing. If there is a flood, immediately contact Gary Hammersley for mops and custodial assistance. Also, remember to check the rooms below you as it is likely that a flood in your lab will spread to the floor below you.
What is the smoking policy?
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in our building nor is not permitted near exits or entrances to the building, except at a distance of 25 feet or more. This reflects campus-wide rules instituted by our Chancellor. Your cooperation with this is appreciated. 
What do I do if something has been stolen?
As with most large institutions, the University continues to be plagued by theft. Computers and top-loading Mettler balances are the number one targets for thieves. Since state property is insured with large deductibles, we cannot count on insurance to cover our theft losses.
As such, please do not leave laptops, purses, wallets, backpacks, etc. in unlocked or unattended spaces. We continue to have reports of purses and/or wallet theft in this building. Additionaly, always lock your bicycle. Please always assume that anything left unsecured will be stolen.
Please report any thefts of your personal property to the UW Dept. of Police and Security at 262-2957. If University property is believed to be missing from your lab, please contact Kim Voss immediately. 
The UW Office of Human Resources Development has a New Employee Orientation website found at www.ohrd.wisc.edu/employeeorientation/resources/index.htm. The website offers extensive inofrmation on many topics from campus policies to arts and recreational opportunities on campus and in the Madison comunity.