Bock Laboratories has a machine and electronics shop in B101. Gary Hammersley is the SR Instrumentation Specialist. He meets the building's needs for repairs of existing instruments, for construction of new research devices and for general building repairs. Equipment under service contract is an exception.
Recent shop project requests:
General rule: Ask the shop first.
Always remember to ask the shop staff before discarding or placing equipment in the swap room. Gary can quickly evaluate your equipment and let you know its long or short term status.
Our shop does not charge for labor. It does charge for the material used to meet your requests, such as parts for a broken instruments.
If you have a work request, bring the item to be worked on to the shop (if possible) and fill out an on-line Shop Work Request Form, one of the Bockwide Tools, or use the Shop laptop computer. Your request will be added to a hard copy list of current work orders posted in the shop. Feel free to stop by and check the status of your order.
Bock Labs Policy Reminders
- Decontaminate and/or clean any equipment you want serviced by the Shop or Computing before asking us to work on it. This includes returning items through the Storeroom.
- All Emergency and Safety issues need to be reported to the Shop. We have an Emergency contact telephone number listed out side all of your Lab doors, (262-8001). Gary is the primary contact for after hour emergencies. He will answer this number.
- Gary is the contact for safety related issues and questions. Some examples are emergency evacuations, radiation, biohazards, and chemical spills or removal.
- Many visitors and non-lab savvy people come though your building each day. They do not know what you are working with. Please do not leave your lab area or use the elevators with out first removing your gloves.
- There is emergency -80 freezer space in room B209. This is not lab overflow space! You should not have material in these freezers unless your freezer is being repaired. Once your freezer is back please remove ALL of your materials from the back-up freezers. There are currently three “back-up freezers”, Sanyo and SoLow up-rights and the old blue Revco chest. When using any of these please note what you have and where you put it on the outside of the freezer.
- As a reminder, Gary is responsible for machining, woodworking, plumbing, electromechanical and general maintenance. Gary is also responsible for electronics, building metasys monitoring, electromechanical and general maintenance. Feel free to bring your questions and/or projects to either of us.
- If you have a question about the building, about equipment recommendations, about equipment repairs, etc. please come to the Shop.